6 Tips For Eating Out After Weight Loss Surgery
After surgery, it can be daunting to think about eating out…what to order, how much to eat, what to say to others who don’t know you’ve had surgery…
So, here are some tips to help make eating out a bit easier:
1. Look for a restaurant that offers a variety of healthy options. Consider using a search engine such as Yelp to help you find options in your area. Take the time to find options that align with your goals and help you stay on track.
2. Review the menu before you go and choose a 2-3 items that you can pick from once you are there. If you know what you want before you go, you’ll be less likely to be tempted to order something that your mind hunger wants.
3. When reviewing the menu, look for protein choices that are roasted, poached, steamed, baked and grilled. Substitute veggies in place of sides that are high in starch such as rice, potatoes, or pasta.
Bun-less burger with side salad or roasted broccoli
Meatballs in marinara (skip the pasta)
Bowl of soup or chili
Grilled fish or meat with veggies or side salad
Taco salad without the crispy bowl
Stir-fry with protein and veggies
Salad with protein, skip the croutons, dried fruit, etc. and ask for the dressing on the side
4. Ask whomever has joined you if they would like to share a meal or ask the server if you can order a half portion. If this isn’t an option, consider choosing something that you can take home and have as leftovers.
5. If you are newly post-op, make sure to order foods that you have already tried to avoid potential intolerances.
6. Take small bites, chew throughout, and eat slowly. Allow yourself to savor your food, enjoy your company, and find joy in the experience of dining out
Confused on what to order when dining out at various cuisines?