Mint Walnut Blackberry Kale Salad
fter living in Seattle my whole life, you would think that I would get use to the grey and rainy days. Although recently, we have been fortunate to have some amazing (/abnormal) warm and sunny weather, I am getting greedy and asking the sun gods for more. I mean, it is technically spring…right?
While mourning this less than adequate weather, I have found myself ogling the (few) tropical fruits and berries at the grocery store. Reds, purples, and blues….OH MY! I finally gave in to the overpriced pint of blackberries that were calling for me…and I’m not sorry that I did. Maybe crafting something delicious will inspire the weather change, or at least make me feel like summer is just around the corner.
KALE SALAD WITH MINT, WALNUTS, AND BLACKBERRIES
- Servings: 2-4
- Time: 30mins
- Difficulty: easy
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 bunch lacinato (aka dino) kale, washed and ripped into 2″x2″ pieces
- 1 Tbsp Mint, chopped
- 1/8 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 pint fresh blackberries
- Lay the kale and mint onto a baking sheet and cover with olive oil, lime juice, and salt. Gently massage with your hands, allowing the liquids to cover all parts of the greens.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and roast the walnuts for 2-4 minutes or until aromatic.
- Reserve 1/2 of the blackberries for the salad. With the remaining 1/2, add them to a blender, food processor, etc. to blend until smooth.
- Assemble your salad. Layer kale/mint on the bottom of a plate. Next add roasted walnuts and blackberries. Gently pour blackberry puree over the salad toppings.
Nutritional Facts for 1 serving (when recipe serves 2): 240 calories, 13 grams of Fat (6 grams monounsaturated, 5 grams polyunsaturated), 29 grams of carbohydrates (11 grams fiber), 8 grams of protein, 419% vitamin A, 324% vitamin C, 23% calcium, 19% iron.